Friday, February 8, 2008

The Unexpected Sweet Victory




Yepeee....I won in the coveted Sinulog photo contest! I never expected it considering I'm a newbie against so many good photographers around (600+) and over 7,000 entries! My year is up for a good start...I'm super elated!

It has been my wish and like any photographers dream to have their images publish or be given an accolade for some sort. Winning 2nd place in the fluvial/procession category in the highly coveted Sinulog photo contest was rather unexpected sweet victory that I would cherish for a long time.

Perhaps what it makes it sweeter is that I have been only into this hobby of mine for less than a year, 6 months to be exact and don't have the gears that most pros have, a first timer, a newbie whatever you call it. Sweet because it gives you some sort of the pride in your work which most of the time I undersell myself.



Over a hundred ships and boats joined this year annual fluvial parade in honor the the Sto. Nino (Child Jesus). Its was my second time to witness such event the first time when I was just 5 years old. This time I had my camera in tow together with hundreds of photographers. I was a spectacle to see as well as enjoyable as I've met many fellow photographers from all over the world.

The fluvial procession is a reenactment of the coming of Magellan to the old Cebu Village, in particular his landing at the old beach which is now the heart of the city. Over 440 years ago, the Spaniards led by Magellan landed in the Cebu village of Rajah Humabon on April17, 1521. On the shore he planted he planted a cross which is said to be extant up to his time. Today, the city’s busiest street thoroughfare, Magallanes, is found where the cross is still preserved and now venerated as a relic. This historical chapter, Magellan’s coming, is reenacted as the advent of the new faith (www.sinulog.ph).

1 comment:

estan said...

bai, expect nga sundon ni karong tuiga

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.