Monday, January 25, 2010

Halad 2010

Right after the marathon success, I got myself readied for a more meaningful endeavor which I look forward every year. Its my personal albeit my family's HALAD to the Sto. Nino which we always do. This year as much as last year, we were holed up again in Crown Regency Hotel to be close to the festivities. Although my wife couldn't come with me this time due to her pregnancy, I wasn't about to give up attending masses as well as taking documentary photos on the side. I also joined the Sinulog photo contest as a mere bonus. This is also the time to test the new camera, the full frame Nikon D700 with its new lens the Nikkor 24-70/2.8.


A contingent participant holding an image of the Sto. Nino.

Devotees lighting candles as a sign of offering and penitence.

After three days of photojournalism shoot, waking up on successive 3AM wake up calls and covering as much ground and water festivities their was, I was tired, but everything was every time's worth it. Not even the rain had stopped me from covering mass after mass of the event. The rains like not the other years didn't stop this time. It poured continuously for days leaving most photographers on the side. I had fun shooting though while covering the events. The new camera didn't let up. Later on did I realize that it was waterproof. But again, being cautious, I covered it with a plastic cover meant for cameras I bought hurriedly in Gizmo.


A devotee looks up upon the larger image of the Sto. Nino in the altar while holding his own.


Walk with Mary Mass. Devotees waving their hands as a sign of devotion while performing the moving song Bato Balani sa Gugma.


A cross draped on white linen with the basilica altar on the background.

With regards to the lens and new camera performance, it blows me away that I didn't want to use again my old camera! The images is just as sharp as any images I have seen before. I could shoot in the dark too without blurring almost all my images. Wohoo! But again, the images I took really is nothing compared to the immersion you get yourself in celebrating the events. It has moved me into tears before and it always does.

Thousand of devotees attend a Friday mass amidst the rain soaked grounds of the basilica.


The image of the Sto Nino as it is being carried outside the grounds of St. Joseph Parish before the start of the fluvial procession.

There are many things you learn, and appreciate covering events like this. I am thankful my family has always been thankful for a decade of love, peace and prosperity the Sto Nino has showered us. I might be a photographer in the streets during the festivities, admiring beautiful images but deep down, in my own perspective, you can only admire the essence of the Sinulog if you are also a devotee.

Thousands of balloons are released together with the devotees wishes during the 330AM Mananita Mass


An image of the Sto Nino among the multitude of hands waving.


The church choir as it performs during one of the early dawn mass.


Some of the photos I took during the three days is here. 12GB of photos were recorded.These are some of them.


Bato Balani sa Gugma, a moving ritual song that moves devotees into tears. It is the clearest sign of the Cebuano's devotion for the venerated image.

A portrait of a candle vendor outside the grounds of the basilica.


The Sto Nino as it is carried towards the outside of St. Joseph Parish.

No comments:

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.