Sunday, April 18, 2010

Panglao Island Run

Bohol seems to have it all. Excellent tourist spots, nice beaches and a great place to run too. Most of the roads in the countryside are asphalted with sporadic traffic which makes it really safe for a runner. The best part of course, is the scenic routes. There a plenty. There is a route that can pass beside the scenic Loboc river, a route that traverses the world famous chocolate hills or a route that cross several kilometers of century old forest. I have only one word to describe it, Beautiful!

Today. my brother and I ran in Panglao island, another scenic route to boot. We were thinking to run the entire island but a quick browse on Google earth shows that we've underestimated its size. We realized that attempting to run it would take us about 33kms. Not that we could not run it but its the distance is too far for a recreational run in mind. Beside there is no marathon schedule looming so its was an easy decision for us just to run the road leading to the famous beaches of the island.



In total we ran just about 9km with a stopover at Alona beach. The beach was not exactly the beach in m mind. Too crowded and too dirty already, it seems its on her way to become another tourism disaster. I'm glad we booked ourselves in the more secluded part of the island, free from the crowd and free from the unsightly mess.



The run took us mostly on unfinished roads (limestone) and through the rural coconut plantations which was a different environment to experience. I do wish someday, that the government of Bohol can come up with a marathon. Its truly be one of the most scenic routes there is in the country!

No comments:

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.