Monday, August 10, 2009

Orphans of Asilo


The "real" celebration of my birthday happened last Saturday evening. Sometimes we spend our entire lives letting other people make us feel great. We celebrate birthdays spending lunches and dinner with people in places where a "carenderia" wouldn't suffice. Blowing out a 7K for a dinner that night with my family was an embarrassment. Not that they like there, nor they forced it which is totally my fault and which later turned out to be a tragedy in cooking, it compelled me to rethink after if to spend that much was really was actually needed nor does this social affairs ever really was worth it. Some would argue that events like these happens once in a blue moon and theres a reason to celebrate no matter what the price is, but would it make a difference in my life and others? Would it give lasting benefits to others? Before the week ends, like many other birthdays it would be forgotten. But I had to spend it anyway because I could afford it. Shame on me.

We spent the Saturday night having s simple dinner with the orphans of Asilo. Not a sort of retribution as one would think having planned this weeks before my birthday but somehow gives a comparison on how different social affairs compared to the one I mentioned above turns out to make that lasting change. Fleeting, simple and short as it would have been, every minute spent with the orphans was immeasurable for my family who have always been a keen to helping the poor and educating the uneducated. Thanks to the Chef Roger in our so called office "cafeteria" that looks more of a restaurant, they were served a great meal. They sang and they dance, they got merry for a while. They chat and they talk and at least for such brief moments I saw the joy in their eyes. It was well worth a thousand words, a thousand birthday celebrations and our hearts have always bleed for them. We are hoping to come back consistently to this place and with continued blessing would be able to sponsor some kids to go to universities. Till our next visit.:)

No comments:

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.