Sunday, July 19, 2009

Seabiscuit


A lot of people seems to like and would I say find the underdog winning a match much more exciting. Like David versus Goliath, we all seem to be fascinated by the triumphant march of the underdog, the glory of winning against a formidable foe.

Yesterday, I watched Seabiscuit, a inspirational movie about a small horse taking over the more superior and taller breed of horses. I don't remember clearly how many times I have watched the movie but every time I do has always left me satisfied and wanting. These are the type of movies that literally moves me maybe because it brings back those memories when life was hard on us, me and my family in particular. Its not that we were poor having been born from the strings of middle class families that had served and had made the city for which it is today. But it wasn't always the case as one might suspect.

There were times when the business fell apart that took a toll on the life we have been use to. Dad went on to work again in the bank, the profession he knew he really was good at and mom too starting working again. The food came by although not as good as before but I accepted it. At one point, Dad got really sick and for years Mom would have meticulously change the bandage of his wound day and night while working. There was a time when my mom told me she had to pawn her jewelry for food which was I presume was so dear to her. That was the lowest point in our lives and a turning point for me. We manage, I manage somehow. Neither one of us broke, and we took turns helping out. To this day, these experience strengthened my resolve, that neither of us should be go through with it again.

Today,my brothers like me got through the university. Mark is already in the United States while my youngest brother manages a small business of our own. My mom and dad are already retirees. Life seems to be more better nowadays, far far more better. Like the movie Seabiscuit, Life can really banged you up here and now, but we never gave up, I never gave up. For all those experience it taught me never to quit and that we made the choices that life presented us and won.

No comments:

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.