Sunday, July 5, 2009

21K gold rush



I didn't walk. At least for that reason I'm happy with the outcome. Ive run 21,000 meters or 21 kilometers of hard asphalt pavement this morning for the 33rd Milo Marathon. The weather was perfect. You call any runner whats the perfect weather? the answer would be cloudy days with moderate wind. Yes that was what greeted us when the gun burst at 5:30am. Three hundred of us ran the longest of them all among the thousands that ran the lesser but nevertheless grueling depending who you ask.



After months of preparation I said to myself this is it.My goal for the race was to finish the race within the cut off period of 2.5 hours, not walk and enjoy the collective experience of the event. I ended up getting better. blame it on the weather. I ran a decent 2:12, never walk the entire race and enjoyed every minute of it. I knew I could not outrun my brother who put on the gas for a fast 2:02. Fast I said because we were just running since March.



Along the way when all those pain keeps cropping up like old nuts from my body getting loosed, I've kept saying the mantra, "pain is inevitable, suffering is an option". It kept me through the race. Next stop? The Cebu Marathon 2010 on January 10. Hoping it pushes through. I'll be training hard for this.



The pain still lingers even after a massage which seems to just increase the torture my body has been subjected to, but the memories of running my first competitive 21K race lingers..I trudge on.

No comments:

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.