Thursday, July 23, 2009

The Working Mind of the Non-Technocrat



Were into the third year of the authenticity of our Quality Management System in compliant of the ISO 9001:2000 standards. For those who doesn't know about ISO, its an acronym for a standard mandated internationally for all companies in manufacturing and service over 96 countries mostly in Asia and Europe.

A little bit technical for the usual guy on the street and in fact a little bit unusual for a company whose main activity is to provide credit. Not that it is uncommon if you talk these to a guy in electronics, or to a supervisor in a furniture firm but its rarely talk about in finance.

Not really to brag but they say were considered to be the only finance institution as to be accredited for compliance for now besides the Central Bank of the Philippines. Its not easy to setup the entire system taking us a few years to achieve it. Until now we always say our system is far from perfect. I personally call it a work in progress looking forward to annual surveillance audit like this to learn and improve.

Its harder when you get to carry in your shoulders the performance of the company on Quality which not surprisingly fell in my lap when a few senior staff resigned for greener pastures abroad. Talk about cost cutting and the situation just presented itself at the wrong time. I really don't consider myself a workhorse (my staff tells me I am with three key positions on my belt) but rather an optimist who sees everything as can be and a true believer of Gautama Siddharta's once quote "what you think you become".

I'm no technocrat either but can say a few words here and there if you talk to me about your personal finance, or whats good to invest out there and why pension plans is necessary for everybody. There are time before that I used to pencil pushing but lately has been pretty much on strategies and administration, a work that sometimes get me bored. While other people might look at as a great position to be in, conjuring thoughts coffee meetings and a round of golf over business, I find it uninteresting, dreary for most part. I'll probably get the praise for the company performance but have the people get it, where real work to real performance happen. That where my penchant for the artistic side particularly photography came to be out of boredom.

Lets get back to the certification before I bore you with my monologues. So unsurprisingly (thanks to the people again) we made it this far and will be for another three years and another as long as I'm in my desk. I'm a system approach kind of guy by profession but nothing short of being a non technocrat, an unusual approach for such unusual endeavor.

No comments:

Shoot and Run


Rumblings of a Cebuano on a pair of running shoes and a Nikon on one hand.

About Me

My photo
Photography is my hobby, a long distance runner and an avid blogger, I consider traveling a dream and my family as my number one inspiration.